BIOMOX® (amoxicillin) Oral Suspension
BIOMOX® (amoxicillin) Oral Suspension is a semi-synthetic, broad-spectrum amoxicillin, indicated for the treatment of bacterial dermatitis and soft tissue infections, including abscesses, wounds and lacerations in dogs when caused by susceptible strains of organisms.
Provides excellent bactericidal activity against a wide variety of common gram-negative and gram-positive pathogens.
Available in 2 convenient formulation options:
-Tablets are available in 50 mg, 100 mg and 200 mg concentrations in bottles of 500 tablets
-Suspension is available in 15 mL and 30 mL sizes with 50 mg/mL potency when reconstituted
Amoxicillin is a semisynthetic penicillin and has the potential for producing allergic reactions. Epinephrine and/or steroids should be administered if an allergic reaction occurs.
The recommended dosage is 5 mg per pound of body weight administered twice daily for 5 to 7 days. Continue for 48 hours after all symptoms have subsided. If no improvement is noted in 5 days, the diagnosis should be reconsidered and therapy changed. BIOMOX (amoxicillin) can be given with or without food. Amoxicillin may be given without regard to meals because it is stable in gastric acid. It is rapidly absorbed following oral administration and diffuses readily into most body fluids and tissues. It diffuses poorly into the brain and spinal fluid except when the meninges are inflamed. Most of the amoxicillin is excreted in the urine unchanged. Symptoms may improve before the infection is completely treated. Store the drops in the refrigerator and discard any unused drops after 14 days.
Contraindicated in animals with a history of an allergic reaction to penicillin. If an allergic reaction occurs, seek veterinary treatment. For use in dogs only. Do not use in pregnant or breeding animals.
As is true with all antibiotic therapy, appropriate in vitro cultures and sensitivities should be conducted prior to treatment.